Thursday, March 25, 2010

Homemade (quick) Refried Beans

The other day I was making tacos for dinner when I realized that I had used up the last can of refried beans.  See, I really, really like beans and on my tacos they are one of my favorite things!  I was crushed…

I didn't have time to go to the grocery store so I jumped online to see how easy they would be to make them myself.  Guess what?  If you plan ahead you can make them real easy…only problem was I had not planned ahead and had about 10 minutes to figure this out!  I had no time to soak beans (even a quick soak would take too long).  So !reached for a can of pinto beans and went to work.  DSC_0051
This is one of my favorite ways to eat refried beans: Whole Wheat tortilla, refried beans, jalapenos, tomatoes and fresh cilantro!

Refried Beans

Ingredients:

1 can of pinto beans, rinsed and drained (I try to find the canned beans that have the fewest ingredients in them.  A lot of beans have added sugar???)
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 small can of chopped green chilies

Directions:

  • Drain and rinse pinto beans.
  • Place in small saucepan over medium heat and add water.
  • As the beans heat mash them with a potato masher or fork. 
  • Add all spices and stir well
  • Add green chilies and cook on low heat stirring frequently until they reach your desired consistency.

I really need to try this with pinto beans that have been soaked overnight but I just never seem to be able to plan that far ahead…hehehe!

****Did you know that a 1/4 cup serving of fat free refried beans only have 1/2 a WW Point????  That whole lunch above is only 1-1/2 WW Points!

signature

8 comments:

A Bowl Of Mush said...

I love re-fried beans!

I'm making tacos this weekend, so I'm bookmarking this recipe for then! :)

Bob said...

Nice, I was hoping you would post this. I made something similar after reading your tweet about this, but next time I'll follow the recipe!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

great... a terrific always useful recipe

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Good work Judy. We love refried beans as well, even as a side dish.

Creative Classroom Core said...

Sounds fantastic!

Unknown said...

I make refried beans with pinto, black, or kidney beans...whatever I have on hand. It's all wonderful!

Thistlemoon said...

That looks so good Judy! I agree, if I didn't have beans for my tacos, or enchiladas, or quesadillas, I would be crushed too! :)

RJ Flamingo said...

We love refried beans, too, and I always buy the canned fat-free kind (the others all have lard in them!). Nice to know I can make my own from scratch so fast, since I nearly always have these ingredients on-hand! Thanks, Judy!