Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Zesty Spinach Soup

My sister turned me onto this cookbook. Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Cookbook: Delicious Recipes That Will Burn Fat and Re-Shape Your Body! Heard of it?

Pretty incredible recipes. My sister has tried a whole bunch of them but me being the slacker that I am lately have only tried one. But it was good. Really, really good. To the point of being so good that when I told the girls that we were having it again for dinner tonight (slacker and eating up leftovers) they were pretty happy about it again!!! Perfect soup for the cold weather and totally healthy too…

P1020447

Of course I had to make some changes based on what I had available but I stayed true to the real recipe. It was fast and came together perfectly. I made it in the afternoon but left out the pasta and the spinach. When we got home later on I had the girls shower and get ready for bed while I finished it up. This was a perfect make ahead soup for me…I also figured out that it was 5 Weight Watcher points based on a 1 1/2 cup serving.

P1020452

Zesty Spinach Soup Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Cookbook: Delicious Recipes That Will Burn Fat and Re-Shape Your Body!

Ingredients:

2 Tbsp best quality extra virgin olive oil
1 purple onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 thick carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 cup chopped celery, including leaves
3 cloves garlic, passed through a garlic press
1 tsp sea salt
Pinch of fresh ground black pepper
6 cups of low sodium chicken or vegetable stock (I used 4 cups of stock and 2 cups of water)
2 vegetable or chicken vegetable bouillon cubes (I used 2 tsp of Better Than Bouillon Organic Chicken)
2 cups chopped tomatoes (I used one can of diced and drained some of the juice out, tomato hater in the family)
1/2 cup of well rinsed quinoa (I used 1 cup of uncooked orzo pasta because I couldn’t find quinoa!)
2 cups of white kidney beans, well rinsed and drained
1 tsp curry powder
pinch of ground nutmeg
3 cups of baby spinach leaves

Directions:

  • Heat oil over medium heat in a large soup pot or Dutch oven. Add onion and sauté over medium-low heat until translucent.
  • Add carrots, celery, garlic and salt. Sauté until vegetables are golden, about 5 minutes.
  • Add stock or water. Add bouillon cubes and add to liquid. Add tomatoes, quinoa, beans and spices. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer over low heat for 15-20 minutes, or until the quinoa is tender.
  • Add the spinach and cover. Cook briefly, just until leaves are wilted.
  • Season with salt and pepper and serve hot with crusty bread.

signature

16 comments:

sj said...

oh wow does this sound like the perfect soup for me! yummmmmmmmy! thanks Judy... great pictures too.. so pretty!

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

What a delightful (and healthy) soup. It sounds delicious. We've been living off of soup and chili because of the cold weather, so this is one for the weekly menu. Thanks for the great recipe. I'll check out the book.

Elle said...

That sounds really good! It's packed with all kinds of good things that I love, too. Soup makes such a great meal!

Maria said...

I love everything about this soup!

MrOrph said...

this really is the best time of year for good (and healthy) soups. i try to make one every weekend. it seems you have a winner here.

Bob said...

That sounds fantastic, I bet I could even get my girlfriend to try it. She loves spinach.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Soups everywhere today... Love the post

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This is perfect for this time of the year Judy, and if the gurls like it I am in.

Megan said...

The name doesnt do this soup justice. It looks delicious!

dining room table said...

This soup can make me really warm tonight and it is so healthy too! I can't wait to try it!

Sandy said...

Zesty Soup look delicious, thanks for sharing the recipe of the dish with us

Anonymous said...

Great post as for me. It would be great to read a bit more about that topic. The only thing it would also be great to see on this blog is a few photos of some gizmos.
Kate Kripke
Cell phone jammers

Thistlemoon said...

Yummy Judy! This looks great! *HUGS* Love you!

cookeaze said...

Great giveaway!! I’m on my way to the kitchen to make these right now.Happy valentines day..

tobias cooks! said...

I like spinach soup. will give this one a try. looks delicious.

Bo said...

This soup sounds great...perfect for this time of year.