Friday, February 19, 2010

Turkey and Pinto and Black Bean Chili

I’m cold. Now I am not talking just a little cold here, I mean I am bundle up in a bunch of sweaters, fuzzy sock and big slippers, gallons of hot tea being drank, but I still can’t seem to get warm so I guess that’s why my family is eating lots of soups and comfort foods right now! Anything to try and be warm. This chili fit the bill. Needed to simmer on the stove and I knew if would smell just perfect and add the illusion of warmth to the house!

Turned out absolutely perfect and I can’t wait for the leftover for dinner tonight!

Recipe for the cornbread can be found here!

P1020494

Turkey and Pinto Bean Chili (adapted from Epicurious.com )

Ingredients:

  • 1 Tbs Olive Oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 medium-size red bell peppers, chopped
  • 6 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1.5 pounds ground turkey
  • 5 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 2 15-ounce cans pinto beans, drained
  • 1 15-ounce can of black beans, drained
  • 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
  • 3 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
  • 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, chopped

Directions:

Heat Olive Oil in a large heavy bottom pot. Add onion, bell peppers and garlic and sauté over high heat until vegetables begin to soften, about 8 minutes. Add turkey and sauté until no longer pink, breaking up large pieces with back of fork, about 5 minutes. Mix in chili powder, cumin and oregano and stir 1 minute. Add beans, tomatoes with juices, broth and chocolate. Bring chili to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered until chili thickens, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour but can be simmered longer for a thicker chili. Season with salt and pepper.

signature

10 comments:

Cookin' Canuck said...

I love the added chocolate in here! This looks perfect to warm cold bones.

Bob said...

That looks wicked good. Man, now I want chili...

Sophie said...

Yummy! Seems like it has been quite cold all over the nation lately, I'm ready for summer!

Elle said...

Absolutely perfect, Judy! As a comfort food keep-you-warm-dish, chili and cornbread are right up there at the top. You're giving me a craving again!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

It is hard to think of being cold in Florida, but it is all relative. I remember deing there in October and the natives were wearing winter jackets while the "tourists" were beaching it.

teenbata20 said...

Thank you very much

Thistlemoon said...

Wow, it looks so yummy Judy! I would love a bowl to warm up with right now!

tobias cooks! said...

I never had pinto beans, they look good though.

Danni said...

Yummmm....Definitely going to try this one! Even though it's not really cold here. I love this kind of hearty meal.

Sook said...

Oh the chili looks so good! Perfect for a day like this!