Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Happy Pancake Day!

What you didn’t know it was Pancake Day today?  Funny isn’t it when you grow up with a tradition and then almost 30, ummmm, maybe more years later you realize that not everyone even knows what it is???  That’s what happened to me this morning with Pancake Day. 

I was on twitter (follow me at www.twitter.com/nofearentertain) and I mentioned that I was making pancakes for the girl’s for Pancake Day.  That’s when I was forced to realize that not everyone celebrated the way we always had.  Here is a good link to some history behind “Pancake Day” and all of the other traditions and names that  this one day has!!! 

Shrove Tuesday 2010 (Pancake Day)

I grew up in Canada and my Mom is from England so that explains why we call it Pancake Day!  What do you call it???

Here is our favorite “Breakfast For Dinner” recipe that would be perfect for your dinner on Pancake Day!

P1020135

Apple Pancakes (adapted from Smitten Kitchen)

Ingredients:

2 eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 cups of milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
14 tsp nutmeg
3 medium apples, peeled and coarsely grated (I used macintosh and a honey crisp apple.  You could use any)
Directions:

1. Mix the eggs with the milk and vanilla extract in a large bowl.
2. In a smaller bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg together.
3. Combine the wet and the dry ingredients and stir in the apples.
4. Heat a thin layer of oil in an electric skillet on medium heat. Drop large spoonful of batter into the pan and flatten it out a little (otherwise, you might have trouble getting them to cook in the center) and cook until golden brown underneath. Flip the pancakes and cook them for an additional two or three minutes.

I sprinkled these with cinnamon sugar and topped them with maple syrup but apple sauce will be great on them too!

signature

6 comments:

Bob said...

Oooo, apple pancakes. Heh, I actually just learned it was pancake day today. I might just have to make pancakes for dinner.

Thistlemoon said...

Pancake Day...I tried to have one...but it was a disaster. I know pancakes are supposed to be easy to make, but they always tend to be a kitchen disaster for me! LOL!

Miss Journey said...

IHOP is having IHOP Pancake Day next week (Tuesday, Feb 23). So for those who aren't as handy in the kitchen, they can enjoy a free short stack from IHOP on Tuesday :-D

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Pancakes for the morning after is a great idea for fat tuesday

Unknown said...

yummy -- I had banana pancakes. yummo! where'd you get this recipe?

Deeba PAB said...

Thanks for the pancake tweet yesterday Judy, and if dinner wasn't ready, I would have had your 'pancakes for dinner' for certain! YUM!! What a great tradition!