Thursday, December 10, 2009

Day 9 of the 12 Days of Cookies - White Chocolate and Peppermint Cookie Brittle

image

This wonderful event, in it’s second year, is the brain child of Andrea of Andrea's Recipes, but this year is being organized and ran by Sandy of At the Baker's Bench.

How I got asked to be involved with this incredible group is beyond me but all the thanks goes to Kelly of Sass & Veracity and after last year I sure earned my way in the hard way! There are 10 of us that have decided to do The 12 Days of Cookies – A bon appétit cookie extravaganza. We will be choosing, baking, tasting, blogging and sharing with you a cookie a day for the first 12 days of December.
These cookies are coming from bon appetit's Holiday Cookie-a-Day Slideshow.

These are my partners in crime. We will all be choosing different cookies and surprising each other. How fun is that???? Be sure to check out their selections for the day!

Andrea of Andrea's Recipes
Claire of The Barefoot Kitchen
Courtney of Coco Cooks
Di of Di's Kitchen Notebook
Kelly of Sass & Veracity
Michelle of Big Black Dogs
RJ of Flamingo Musings
Sandy of At the Baker's Bench
Tiffany of The Nesting Project

P1020258

For Day 9 I choose to make White Chocolate and Peppermint Cookie Brittle.  Not sure why I choose this recipe as everyone in the house is rather put off by white chocolate.  But make it I did and I am so glad about it.  These cookies are delicious!  They turn into a nice hard cookie like brittle and then the candy melts and hardens inside as well.  Just a really perfect cookie and really, really pretty too!

White Chocolate and Peppermint Cookie Brittle

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted, cooled slightly
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 10 ounces high-quality white chocolate (such as Lindt or Perugina), chopped into 1/3-inch pieces, divided
  • 3/4 cup coarsely crushed red-and-white-striped hard peppermint candies (about 6 ounces), divided

Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. Whisk melted butter, both sugars, and vanilla in large bowl until smooth. Stir in flour mixture until just blended. Stir in 1 cup chopped white chocolate and 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy.

  • Transfer dough to prepared sheet. Press dough into 14x8-inch rectangle, about 3/8 inch thick. Bake cookie until top is firm and dark golden, about 30 minutes. Cool on sheet 10 minutes. Transfer to rack; cool completely.

  • Stir remaining white chocolate in top of double boiler over barely simmering water until melted and smooth. Using small spoon, drizzle about half of melted chocolate in thin lines over cooled cookie. Sprinkle remaining crushed peppermint candies over chocolate. Drizzle remaining white chocolate over top. Let stand until white chocolate sets, about 1 hour. Break cookie into irregular 2- to 3-inch pieces. DO AHEAD Can be made 2 days ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature.

P1020252

Would I make these again?  Oh yes I would, and maybe even for Saturday for a bake sale.  These are wonderful.  Crunchy, chewy, sweet and gooey!  LOVE, LOVE, Love them!

12 comments:

Maria said...

I love this one! Cookie brittle sounds amazing!

Lo said...

Put off by white chocolate? Oh, my -- I'd have to move :)

Love cookie brittle... and this is a nice holiday update!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

pecan sammy's day two still ahead

toontz said...

Wow, three "loves". This one I HAVE to bookmark!

Sandy Smith said...

Judy, this looks sooo good! I was put off by this one for the same reason you mentioned (not a fan of white chocolate), but now I definitely to make it! Yum!

Patsyk said...

love this recipe! so pretty and would be a nice one to add to cookie trays!

Di said...

I'm intrigued by these, but just not sure since I really don't like white chocolate. They look pretty cool, though.

Thistlemoon said...

They look really cool! I am not a fan of white chocolate either, but these look so pretty!

Rosy said...

I love the White Chocolate squiggles.... It is a great cookie!

Nana said...

I'm ready to start my "12 days of cookies baking" now that I have all these yummy recipes. My question is how to store so may cookies for a couple weeks. I will start giving them away right before Christmas, but need to start baking now!

kellypea said...

Way to hang in there with these cookies, Judy! If I'm lucky I'll get to the dough in my fridge today ;) I wonder what it is about white chocolate? I'm not too thrilled about it myself. Maybe if they completely removed the "chocolate" from the name, we'd all reframe our expectations. Maybe. Probably not. Hahaha!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Just to let all of you white chocolate haters, I really, really liked these. My kids liked them so much I am going to be making these again this week for one of the school Holiday parties! The white chocolate was a nice smooth addition and was not the main flavor for some reason!