Tuesday, December 1, 2009

12 Days of Cookies – A bon appétit cookie extravaganza! Triple-Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies…

image

This wonderful event, in it’s second year, is the brain child of Andrea of Andrea's Recipes, but is being organized and ran by Sandy of At the Baker's Bench.

How I got asked to be involved with this incredible group is beyond me but all the thanks goes to Kelly of Sass & Veracity and after last year I sure earned my way in the hard way! There are 10 of us that have decided to do The 12 Days of Cookies – A bon appétit cookie extravaganza. We will be choosing, baking, tasting, blogging and sharing with you a cookie a day for the first 12 days of December.
These cookies are coming from bon appetit's Holiday Cookie-a-Day Slideshow.

These are my partners in crime. We will all be choosing different cookies and surprising each other. How fun is that???? Be sure to check out their selections for the day!

Andrea of Andrea's Recipes
Claire of The Barefoot Kitchen
Courtney of Coco Cooks
Di of Di's Kitchen Notebook
Kelly of Sass & Veracity
Michelle of Big Black Dogs
RJ of Flamingo Musings
Sandy of At the Baker's Bench
Tiffany of The Nesting Project

For my first cookie and to kick of the event I have chosen and rather simple cookie. I based my choice on the ingredients I had on hand in my pantry and the use of fresh cranberries was intriguing! Lucky for me they are totally delicious! I did skip the white chocolate as no one in the house is a fan and I had major problems with the drizzle…you still get the idea right?

cranberry

Triple-Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies (bonappetit.com)

Chunks of fresh cranberries and dark, milk, and white chocolate chips dress up oatmeal cookies for the holidays.

Makes about 30

Ingredients
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup old-fashioned oats
  • 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh or frozen cranberries
  • 2 ounces milk chocolate or white chocolate, chopped (for drizzling)
Preparation
  • Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in medium bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat butter and both sugars in large bowl until smooth. Beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture and oats and stir until blended. Stir in all chocolate chips and cranberries.

  • Drop batter by rounded tablespoonfuls onto prepared sheets, 2 inches apart. Bake cookies, 1 sheet at a time, until edges are light brown, about 16 minutes. Cool on sheets 5 minutes. Transfer to rack; cool completely.

  • Stir chopped milk chocolate in top of double boiler until melted and smooth. Using small spoon, drizzle melted chocolate over cookies in zigzag pattern. Let stand until milk chocolate sets, about 1 hour. DO AHEAD Can be made 2 days ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature.

cranberry2

Would I make these again? Not so sure. Yes, they were good but I already have a cranberry, chocolate, oatmeal cookie that I love…

16 comments:

Jen said...

As I just wrote to Courtney, I think you all are a bit nuts, but we are the very happy recipients of all that hard work, so I thank you heartily! ;-)

These look wonderful, but I might well try your other version, since you prefer it. I love all the flavors here.

Di said...

They look great! These were the first ones I made, too (posting tomorrow or Thursday). I admit, I didn't even try the drizzle (I forgot). =) I thought they were pretty good with the cranberries, but I'll have to check out your other recipe, too.

Andrea Meyers said...

Those look delicious! I love the cranberries and the chocolate drizzle. I'm so glad you could do the 12 Days of Cookies again!

Maria said...

I can't wait to see all of your cookies. This is a great recipe to start with! t

RecipeGirl said...

I've done these before with a white chocolate drizzle in place of the dark. Yum!

kellypea said...

Here we go again, Judy! These cookies look yummy and I'm trying to remember at this point if they're on my list. I'll definitely have to check out your recipe too. I have four cookies made already and hope to do a quickie post each night. Cross your fingers!

Megan said...

These look so festive and delicious! Great choice! Cant wait to see your picks!

Bob said...

Sounds like a fun event! And those cookies look awesome, I love anything that starts "triple chocolate".

Rosy said...

They look better than the Bon Appetit picture! Great job.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Happy baking Judy!!!

Thistlemoon said...

This is awesome Judy! I need some good cookie ideas for this year!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

America is fat, and it is you guy's fault...

I love this idea, gonna be visiting everyone's sight...I am doing a neighborhood cookie exchange in 18 days... I get to pick my favorites!

wonderful idea (but only as a lurker... i would be fat as a hog if I did this (no self control))

RJ Flamingo said...

I admit that I was staring at these longingly, too! I also admit that I am drizzle-challenged - it looks easy enough, right? :-) Yours look so pretty, Judy!

glamah16 said...

I was eyeing these. I like white chocolate but you make seem so appealing with the darl. And the use of fresh cranberries is luring me in as well. Wonderful!

Elle said...

Love these! Especially the fresh cranberries vs dried. Can't wait to see what else you come up with!

Michelle said...

I have problems with drizzling too and seem to compensate with over drizzling. I've bought several drizzling gadgets but none seem to improve beyond using a spoon or fork!