Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Day 7 of the 12 Days of Cookies – Coconut-Orange Snowballs!

image

This wonderful event, in it’s second year, is the brain child of Andrea of Andrea's Recipes, but this year is being organized and ran by Sandy of At the Baker's Bench.

How I got asked to be involved with this incredible group is beyond me but all the thanks goes to Kelly of Sass & Veracity and after last year I sure earned my way in the hard way! There are 10 of us that have decided to do The 12 Days of Cookies – A bon appétit cookie extravaganza. We will be choosing, baking, tasting, blogging and sharing with you a cookie a day for the first 12 days of December.
These cookies are coming from bon appetit's Holiday Cookie-a-Day Slideshow.

These are my partners in crime. We will all be choosing different cookies and surprising each other. How fun is that???? Be sure to check out their selections for the day!

Andrea of Andrea's Recipes
Claire of The Barefoot Kitchen
Courtney of Coco Cooks
Di of Di's Kitchen Notebook
Kelly of Sass & Veracity
Michelle of Big Black Dogs
RJ of Flamingo Musings
Sandy of At the Baker's Bench
Tiffany of The Nesting Project

So this is the 7th cookie I have made for the 12 days of cookies.  Unfortunately this is the 8th day of the project!  All I am going to say is better luck next year!  There is just no way I cold keep up the pace!

For the 7th cookie I choose to make the Coconut-Orange Snowballs.  They looked so elegant on all the plates I had seen.  Fortunately the coconut flavor is real mild because I didn’t use the coconut extract in it just the toasted coconut as no one in the house is really a huge fan of coconut.

P1020238

Coconut-Orange Snowballs

Ingredients:

  • 1 1/4 cups sweetened flaked coconut
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 2 1/4 cups sifted powdered sugar (sifted, then measured)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3/4 teaspoon coconut extract
  • 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons grated orange peel
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake coconut on rimmed baking sheet until light golden, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes.

Using electric mixer, beat butter, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, and both extracts in bowl to blend well. Beat in flour, orange peel, and salt. Stir in coconut. Cover and chill at least 1 hour and up to 1 day. Soften dough slightly before shaping.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Using 1 level tablespoon dough for each cookie, roll dough between palms of hands into balls. Place on prepared sheets, spacing 1 inch apart. Bake until golden on bottom but pale on top, about 18 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks; cool 5 minutes. Place remaining 1 3/4 cups powdered sugar in bowl. Roll hot cookies in powdered sugar, covering completely. Cool cookies on rack. Roll cookies in powdered sugar again, coating generously. (Can be made 5 days ahead. Store airtight between sheets of waxed paper at room temperature.)

Would I make these again?  Don’t think so.  I found them a little dry.  That could have been my fault for skipping the 3/4 tsp of coconut extract but I doubt it.  They do look pretty though with all the icing sugar on them!!!

13 comments:

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

In my limited experience, extra butter fixes dry... do you think extra butter would help... i like the sound of these, and my wife LOVES coconut... so this may accompany recipe 2 (the pecan sandwich cookies)...

I am loving this series, and this weekend, at least one of your recipes will be made (maybe 2 if I get the goahead for adding butter!!!

Bob said...

Well, they do look good! I like Dave's idea of adding more butter. But then that's not really shocking. Heh.

toontz said...

so pretty!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hey Dave-I would go for it on the extra butter. I am also using a new flour that I bought and am finding that even my bread is a little dryer so it could just be my flour. Try it the way it is and if the dough looks to be real crumbly then add a bit more butter. Butter makes it better right?

kellypea said...

I loved these, and just seeing them makes me want one or five ; ) I didn't use the coconut extract, either. They tend to be on the crunchy side even when they're Mexican wedding cookies or Greek cookies. Hang in there Judy. You're definitely ahead of me! I'll keep plugging along 'till the end ; )

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

butter makes everything better!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Beware the beast you have unleashed... I have a batch of these in my oven as we speak. I have opinions on how to improve this t0 make it less dry...

My kitchen smells of orange right now!

Pam said...

I luv snowballs....oh so pretty!

Enjoy!

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

OK... out of the oven.... these are going to be my post today... You will be either thrilled and want to revisit these, or be pissed that you get credit for the inspiration.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

OK... I apologize, but come take a look...

http://yearonthegrill.blogspot.com/2009/12/giveaway-and-i-bastardize-coconut.html

Actually, if I can be serious, i so admire this project of yours, Thank you for the inspiration, and i do hope I didn't ruin the concept of this beautiful recipe.

Thanks for a fun morning

Thistlemoon said...

These look great Judy! Snowballs were some of my favorite holiday cookies growing up, and they are a bit dry...

RJ Flamingo said...

I baked them for 15 minutes rather than the full 18, but I think the style of cookie is just on the dry side. You'd be surprised how little the coconut extract presented itself. I was expecting a mouthful of coconut, but it was the orange that came through! Weird, huh?

Di said...

Don't feel bad, Judy! At this point, my 12 cookies are going to take at least 13 or 14 days, I think. =) Your cookies do look pretty, and I'm impressed that you made them even though coconut isn't popular at your house.