Saturday, July 26, 2008

Do I like brussel sprouts? Yes, I do!!!

The brussel sprouts served with parsley potatoes and salmon en papillote!

I have gone all of my life up til now hating brussel sprouts. I mean to the point that when I was a child and had to eat the nasty ass things I would pop them in my mouth and swallow them whole with a gulp of milk. I've tried making them several times, several different ways.

When I went to the farmer's market the other day I saw some there and for some unknown reason I bought them. I tend to think that the foods we are drawn to or crave are the ones that our bodies need at that given time. Regardless I came home with them. I hid them from T. He hates them more than I do. I emailed my friend Jenn as I had remembered that she did a post on them back in the spring. She sent me the link.

As I got ready to print out the recipe I realized that I didn't have hardly any of the ingredients besides maybe the brussel sprouts???!!! I need to try this one next though!

I ended up trying this one and I liked them, I mean I really, really liked them. T. even ate 4 of them???!!! The girls it will take a bit of time but they did try them!

Brussel Sprouts with White Wine and Thyme (from Domino-The Guide to Living with Style)

The Ingredients:

  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 pound Brussels sprouts, stems trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 7 to 8 fresh thyme sprigs
  • ½ cup vegetable stock
  • ½ cup white wine
  • coarse sea salt
  • freshly ground white pepper

Coat a large sauté pan with the olive oil. Add the Brussels sprouts, arranging them cut side down in one snug layer. Turn the heat to high and sauté until the cut side of the Brussels sprouts are lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme. Sauté for about 2 minutes, or until the garlic is fragrant, stirring to evenly distribute the garlic and thyme. Add the vegetable stock, wine, and 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil and stir well. Immediately lower the heat to low, cover, and braise until the Brussels sprouts are tender, about 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and remove the thyme stems.

Season with additional salt and white pepper to taste and serve hot.

As Always

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

12 comments:

Peter M said...

have, always will luv B-sprouts...I never understood the haters.

glamah16 said...

Im gald you have croseed over. Brussels sprouts are so good!

Frantic Home Cook said...

Brussels sprouts are delish! Now broccoli, on the other hand....ew.

Lunch Buckets said...

I've honestly never met a b-sprout (love that!) that I didn't like, but I'll admit these do sound particularly nice!

Preston said...

I absolutely adore brussel sprouts. When I was a child, my mother only served them on Thanksgiving so I thought they were a Holiday food, like green bean casserole and sweet potatoes with marshmellows. I later learned that she only made them on Thanksgiving because her and I were the only one in the family who liked them. I eat them all the time now. I'll give this recipe a try.

Cynthia said...

This sounds like a delicious recipe. Generally, I just like them pan roasted with some salt and pepper.

Anonymous said...

My anti-veggie eating hubby told me the other day that he is craving sprouts. Thanks for sharing this recipe... I'll have to give it a go!

Danni said...

At least you swallowed yours as a kid. When I was little, I would chew them up and spit them out into my napkin. Boy, was my mom mad the day she found the mushy disgusting napkin in the garbage! :-)

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Peter-I am soooo misunderstood!!! But at least I now love B-sprouts!

Hey Glanah-I am now a believer!

Hey Frantic Home Cook-Broccoli can be alright too!

Hi Lunch Buckets-These were my conversion tool to be sure!

Hi Preston-Funny story...I just swallowed them whole!

Hi Cynthia-this was nice with other elements to it!

Hi Kristen-He'll like it!

Hey Danni-I got caught with the napkin thing so I just swallowed them...The Dr's were so impressed as to how well I swallowed pills when I was a child???!!! Lots of practice!

Anonymous said...

Love b-sprouts! My boy calls them 'candy'. Who brainwashed him? Love these potatoes so much! We tonight with yummy steaks and grilled asparagus. The potatoes were the best part!

kellypea said...

Hahahaha...I can't tell you the times I've set out to make something and don't have most of the ingredients! I love brussels sprouts and have faked the menfolk into loving them, too. This recipe looks delish!

Thistlemoon said...

Oh YAY! I am so glad that you have converted to BS! ;)

I am going to have to try them like this soon! I love me some BS!