To me the Memorial Day weekend marks the official start of summer! I know, by the calendar we are still weeks away from the official start but I have always been a summer lover and it sure is stinking hot here already. With all of the thought about summer and the long weekend I started thinking about drinks that I could serve over the weekend and I remembered one that I had made last year but could not for the life of me find the recipe for it again.
Finally success! It is a Bobby Flay recipe and it is a true summer time drink…beautiful juicy watermelon, ripe plump blueberries and fresh from your garden mint! How could it get any better? TEQUILA!!!!
Watermelon and Blueberry Margarita (recipe by Bobby Flay)
This makes enough for about 8 drinks…
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 8 cups diced seedless watermelon (1 pound)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 3/4 cups blueberries
- 3/4 cup lightly packed fresh mint leaves, plus 8 sprigs for garnish
- 1 1/4 cups silver tequila
- In a small saucepan, bring the water to a simmer with the sugar and stir over moderate heat until the sugar is dissolved, about 1 minute; let the sugar syrup cool.
- In a blender, puree the watermelon until smooth. Set a fine-mesh strainer over a bowl and strain the watermelon juice, pressing gently on the solids to extract as much juice as possible. Discard the pulp.
- In a large pitcher, combine the sugar syrup with the lime juice, blueberries and mint leaves. Using a wooden spoon, lightly muddle the blueberries and mint. Add the watermelon juice and tequila. Refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
- Pour the cocktail into tall ice-filled glasses. Garnish with the mint sprigs and serve.
Love this--so fresh! You got a gorgeous photo of it, too. Makes me want one now, at 9 am!
This looks so different and refreshing...a great way to use blueberries!
Looks like a "beaut" drink Judy! Enjoy the memorial day celebrations and have one for me!
you got me with this one... adding it to surfing round up today.
I would like one of those served to me right now. I have a soft spot for tequila :)
What a perfect summer cocktail. I can justify the alcohol since there's so much fruit in it!
This is one way that I would really enjoy watermelon:D
hi, you have nice blog.. u can view also mine..http://akoniwares.blogspot.com
This really does look amazingly refreshing Judy!
I must agree that Memorial Day always marked the beginning of summer even when the calendar shows it later in June. School is out and watermelon in season. Now to enjoy those cool refreshing drinks after warmer days, be it working in the garden, out on the ranch, taking time for a picnic or just relaxing on the patio. Summer is here.
oh wow this looks too delish NOT to make all Summer long. The colors alone make it sexy! :) I'm not even a fan of watermelon--imagine that!
I think I have found my new summer drink. Wish I had this drink right now!
Today is a perfect day for one of these drinks... I am SO sad it is not here, in front of me :( Looks FAB!
mmmmm.. looks delish!
Post a Comment