Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Chili Verde for the Crockpot

It was cold yesterday.  At least by Southwest Florida standards.  I think we reached a high of about 60F for the whole day.  I’m not complaining.  I live for the cooler weather but I knew that I needed something to warm us up for dinner.  Knowing that we would be at The BMX Track after the sun went down was pretty motivating too!

I pulled out my trusty Crockpot and went to work. 

Chili Verde

Chili Verde

6-8 Servings

Ingredients:

  • 2 pounds of pork (this time I used pork steaks and cut them down to bite sized pieces.  Could use Pork Butt or Shoulder Roast)
  • 3 Tbsp All-Purpose Flour (seasoned with a small bit of salt and pepper)
  • 1/2 Cup water
  • 1/2 Cup Tomatillo Salsa
  • 2 Tbsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
  • 1 (7 ounce) can of chopped green chiles, rinsed and drained.
  • 1 small jar of pimientos (or 3/4 cup roasted red pepper strips)
  • 1 (15 ounce) can of black beans, rinsed and drained

Directions:

  • In a large bowl toss the pork with the seasoned flour until evenly coated.  Stir in the water , salsa, cumin, chili powder, oregano, garlic powder, salt, onions and 1/2 of the green chiles.  Mix well.
  • Cover and cook on low heat for about 6 hours (or on high for about 3 or 4), or until pork is tender.  Stir twice if possible.
  • Stir in the remaining green chiles, the red pepper strips and the black beans.  Cover again and cook on high 20-30 min. longer until heated through and bubbling again.

Will I make this again?  Definitely.  This will be a go to winter meal for us.  I wanted to try not browning the pork in this recipe and I am really pleased with how it turned out.  Truth be told I ran out of time and needed to get this on.  Worked to my advantage.  The meat was spoon cutting tender.  Everyone in the house loved it. 

signature

7 comments:

Thistlemoon said...

I love green chili! One of my favorites! Love this easy and delicious crockpot dish!

Bob said...

60 degrees, huh? Poor thing. :D It didn't get out of the teens here in Boston yesterday. Course, I love the cold, so I'm not complaining.

Green chili is the bomb. I like wrapping it in tortillas and making enchiladas out of it.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

Oh no... bone chilling cold...

great recipe, but no sympathy on the cold...

15 degrees in god's country (Kansas)

Maria said...

Hubs will love this! Happy New Year!

Elle said...

I adore chili verde with pork! Looks delicious--and so great for busy, chilly days.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This is definitely comforting. Have a safe and foodie-filled New Year Judy.

Megan said...

I love using my crockpot and the hubs loves Chili verde. Sounds like a win win recipe for my family. Sent to the printer! :)