We are still in Pennsylvania visiting T's family until tomorrow. As we were sitting around the huge pan of lasagna last night our conversation once again turned to food. We started throwing out ideas for breakfast and someone mentioned sausage gravy and biscuits. My FIL's eyes went real big! This would be a huge hit in the morning. Funny thing is this is such a simple meal to make. Who knows why we don't have this more often!
Simple Biscuits (no idea where I got this from. I have been using it forever!)
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Gradually stir in milk until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl.
- Turn out onto a floured surface, and knead 15 to 20 times. Pat or roll dough out to 1 inch thick. Cut biscuits with a large cutter or juice glass dipped in flour. Repeat until all dough is used. Brush off the excess flour, and place biscuits onto an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges begin to brown.
Now onto the sausage gravy. This is T’s deal. For some reason he has always been the cooker of the gravy!
Sausage Gravy (T’s recipe)
- 1-1.5# loose breakfast sausage
- salt & pepper to taste
- Fresh Sage
- Fry sausage on medium high until cooked through. Add flour (estimate same amount of flour to grease produced by sausage) reduce heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes.
- Start adding milk a cup at a time stirring until thickened then add another cup of milk until after 10 minutes of cooking gravy is not getting thicker.
- Season with salt, pepper and fresh sage.
Serve the sausage gravy over the fresh baked biscuits and enjoy. This is one of our favorite breakfast and is always requested by guests!
We call this Man Food at our house and usually have it for dinner if you can believe that! Gravy is a little different, but it's Biscuits and Gravy all the same. It's a treat around here and clearly your FIL thought so too!
I love sausage gravy!! Hope FIL is doing better. Have a safe trip home. That is a looooong ride.
This is one of our favorite breakfast dishes.
I have been craving these and I just started looking for a good recipe. I will definitely have to give this a try! Thanks for reading my mind! :^P
So sweet that he lit up about it and then got to have it! It looks wonderful. Have a good trip back.
That is one of my favorite breakfasts! YUM!
That looks so good! I have been wanting to try biscuits and gravy.
This would be a very comforting dish Judy for breakfast, brunch, anytime...
I love biscuits and gravy!! So hungry right now.
ohhhhhhhhhh Judy! This looks amazing :)
This is dang'good southern fare...I want some like...NOW!
Post a Comment