Saturday, June 20, 2009

My Favorite Summer Lunch

It seems like every summer I get on a different kick as to what is the perfect summer salad. Last summer I ate Tomato, Basil and Fresh Mozzarella until it was coming out my ears and this summer it’s Texas Caviar, or as I like to call it “Black-eyed Pea Salad”, and it is truly perfect.
The acid is well balanced and the jalapenos give it just enough zing. This can be made in the morning in a matter of minutes and ready for me when I am starving at lunch. The other day I even shoved it into a flour tortilla shell and took it to the beach with me for my lunch!!!
P1010551
Black-eyed Pea Salad or Texas CaviarSaveur Magazine Online
2 15-oz. cans black-eyed peas,
drained and rinsed
1⁄4 cup roughly chopped cilantro
1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 serrano chile, stemmed, seeded,
and finely chopped (I use 2 jalapeno peppers)
1⁄2 red bell pepper, cored, seeded,
and finely chopped
1⁄4 red onion, thinly sliced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper,
to taste
1. Combine first 8 ingredients in a bowl; season with salt and pepper.
2. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Serve on top of lettuce leaves.
As Always…
Happy Entertaining!!!
Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

19 comments:

Bob said...

My brother makes a Texas caviar, but that looks much better. He doesn't put jalapenos in it. :)

kellypea said...

Mmmm...yummy flavors! I agree it's perfect for summer -- we usually scoop it up in tortilla chips, digging into a salad is my favorite way to eat it. Wishing we had your sun today!

The Purple Foodie said...

This looks delicious! Reminds me of black eyed beans salad my grandmum used to make me for breakfast. A lot simpler with just coconut, tomatoes, onions and cilantro.

Katerina said...

Texas caviar, too funny!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hey Bob_ this one is really good. All the flavors blend perfectly!

Hey Kelly-I have dug into it with the corn chips and a tortilla wrap is good too!

Hi Shaheen-It is similar to the black eyed pea one that I have had before!

marye said...

I love this stuff. It is addictive. :)r

Deeba PAB said...

Hey...I love this, easy, quick & fresh! What a delicious bowlful Judy!!

sj said...

ooooo! I like this :) I'm going to try it... I love black eyed peas!

Anonymous said...

Looks great, Judy! Light and flavorful. Perfect for summer - I might whip up a bowl this week to work on for a couple days. :)

glamah16 said...

This is my fac salad. I make an African version with lime juice insted of vingear. I made it for the party and it was a hit. It is my favorite lunch.

lbryant said...

can't wait to try this it looks yummmy!

beth said...

OMg it looks super yummy. It will do better with wines. your blog seems to be mouth watering.

Jeff said...

Huge fan of quick stuff like this during summer. Want to be outside not stuck inside slaving over a stove.

Plus anything that can be rolled in a tortilla is a win win.

Thistlemoon said...

This really does look like a great summer salad! I have been really into bean salads this summer too, and I will try this!

justeatfood said...

I love fun bean salads that are loaded with flavor. This one sounds incredible and oh so summery. How refreshing!

Emily

Claire said...

We can get fresh purple hull peas at farmer's markets and better grocery stores this time of year. This is one of my favorite ways to use them, so thanks for reminding me! This is one of those recipes that gets better in the refrigerator over a day or so, too.

Ramya Kiran said...

I bet they would taste wonderful! Simple, healthy and tasty. Nice recipe:)

Peter M said...

Again, I see this Texas caviar and I love it...this is gonna be made fo'sho this summer.

test it comm said...

This is certainly a tasty looking bean salad!