Thursday, June 18, 2009

Coconut Rum Cake

P1010506

I baked this a couple of weeks ago and sadly have just now gotten around to posting it.  You see, my life is now longer my own!  During the school year I have a solid 5 hrs without the kiddos around but now that summer break is officially here I am done.  Loving every single minute of it but with them nonetheless.  So there will be sporadic posts and visits to your blogs but trust me I am really…

Anyway I made this cake at the beginning of June for our monthly pot luck, that unfortunately we were all too sick to attend, with the theme being Caribbean.  The coaches and the other employees at the ice skating rink reaped the benefits.

I was also really, really lucky to be the recipient of some Tommy Bahama rum.  Pretty fancy bottles and they made a great rum cake.  I have yet to try it in a drink but I can’t wait!!!

Rum

This cake was amazing.  I did change a couple of things based on some of the comments that were left on this recipe and I made it more rum flavored.  The cake itself was light and fluffy and full of the rum and coconut flavor and the icing and the coconut on top were the perfect compliment.  

P1010495

 

Coconut Rum CakeEpicurious.com

For cake:

  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 4 large eggs plus 3 large yolks
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (I used Rum Extract)
  • 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted and cooled
  • 3/4 cup well-stirred sweetened cream of coconut such as Coco López (be sure this is at room temperature)

For coconut slivers:
  • 1 medium coconut
  • 2 teaspoons confectioners sugar

For icing:
  • 3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
  • 3 tablespoons well-stirred sweetened cream of coconut (Coco Lopez)
  • 1 tablespoon dark rum
  • 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (I used Rum Extract)
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons heavy cream
  • 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
  • Equipment: a 9-inch round cake pan (2 inches deep); an adjustable-blade slicer (I used a 9 inch square pan)

Preparation

Make cake:
Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in middle. Lightly butter cake pan and line bottom with a round of parchment paper. Lightly butter parchment, then flour pan.

Whisk together flour (1 1/4 cups), baking powder, and salt.

Whisk together whole eggs and yolks, sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl. Gradually whisk in flour mixture until combined, then whisk in butter until just combined. Pour into cake pan and rap pan on counter to expel air bubbles.

Bake until golden brown and cake starts to pull away from side of pan, about 45 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack 10 minutes. (Leave oven on.) Invert cake onto rack (discard parchment) and cool 10 minutes more. Generously brush top and side of warm cake with cream of coconut, allowing it to soak in before brushing on more. Cool completely.

Make coconut slivers as cake cools:
Pierce softest eye of coconut with a small screwdriver, then drain and discard liquid. Bake coconut in a shallow baking pan 15 minutes. (Leave oven on.) Break shell with a hammer, then pry flesh from shell with screwdriver.

Thinly shave enough coconut with slicer (I used a vegetable peeler and it worked great!) to measure 2 cups and toss with confectioners sugar, then spread in 1 layer on a baking sheet. Bake until just dry but not golden (some tips may color), 5 to 10 minutes. (Shave and bake remaining coconut with more confectioners sugar to serve on the side, or freeze for another use.) Cool coconut completely. (It will crisp as it cools.)

Make icing:
Beat together cream cheese, cream of coconut, rum, vanilla, and 2 tablespoons cream with an electric mixer until smooth, then beat in confectioners sugar. Icing should be smooth and slightly runny; stir in remaining tablespoon cream if necessary.

Smooth icing over top of cooled cake, allowing some to drip over side, then top with coconut slivers.

Cooks' notes: Cake can be baked 1 day ahead and soaked with cream of coconut, then kept in an airtight container at room temperature.
Cake can be iced 2 hours ahead.
Coconut slivers can be made 1 day ahead and kept in an airtight container at room temperature.

As Always…

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

17 comments:

Maria said...

I love the coconut slivers on top. What a fabulous cake!

louis luzzo said...

Hey Judy,
Looks great and would make a wonderful addition to any cookout.

Elle said...

Oh my gosh, Judy--it's gorgeous! I adore coconut. Adore it! And add rum? It doesn't get any better than that!

Anonymous said...

Oh wow!!! This cake sounds so good. My Hubs loves coconut so this recipe is going in to my have to make... Thanks!

Bob said...

That looks stunning! I love coconut and run, it's such a great combination.

NuKiwi said...

GORGEOUS!!! And...would go GREAT with my White Chocolate Mousse (also fortified with rum). I'll bookmark this for sure!!! Thanks for the post. ;o)

Patsyk said...

That cake looks amazing - so moist, too!

elly said...

Oh wow, this cake looks so delicious! You can just see that buttery crumb. Mmm. I am a sucker for a good coconut cake and I think one with rum in it definitely constitutes "good." :)

justeatfood said...

Looks wonderful Judy! Just soaked with goodness.- Emily

Anonymous said...

After years of searching, I only recently found the perfect yellow butter cake recipe. The secret? Bourbon! So, I'm guessing that the rum in this gives it much of the same richness that I so love in my new cupcake recipe.

I found you on TasteSpotting and am writing to say that if you have any photos that aren’t accepted there, I’d love to publish them. Visit my new site (below), it’s a lot of fun! I hope you will consider it.

Best,
Casey
Editor
www.tastestopping.wordpress.com

Thistlemoon said...

This cake looks delicious Judy! I love the coconut on top!

Have a great time with your girls this summer! Ours get here in less than a week! :)

Anonymous said...

Judy, your photos of this are just gorgeous! I love the overhead shot of the cake.

kellypea said...

Fabulous! I love playing around with those coconut shavings. So elegant --and I can tell this is a seriously moist recipe. On the time not being yours anymore? Well we hit the door in the morning and didn't come back in until dinner time. Best memories of my childhood. Outside of taking us to the pool once in a while, my mom was busy doing her own thing...Just thinking.

Jennifer said...

That looks SO good! I love the coconut sliver garnishes!

Ann said...

Drooling. Yum! My family all loves coconut and would greatly appreciate me making this cake. btw...love the picture of you and your dog!!!

Brittany said...

That looks so delicious and the garnish is grogeous! Such amazing plating! You need some stumble buttons under your posts so I can stumble this yummy creation from my laptop!

Peter M said...

Judy, this looks fab and the coconut topping is pure bakery-chic!