Sunday, May 31, 2009

Home Baked Bagels

P1010435
A yummy looking everything bagel!

Nicole of Pinch my Salt sent out a twitter message saying “I need a challenge. Am thinking of baking my way through every single recipe in The Bread Baker's Apprentice. Anyone want to join me?” Well I jumped right in. Both feet, no thought at all. I think I was one of the first 5 that joined…did I even have the book? Nope but I ordered it that night!!!

bba1

The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread

We are now over 200 strong with members everywhere on the globe. It’s an incredibly enthusiastic group that wants to share like no group I have ever belonged to before. Awesome!

Our goal is to bake our way through Peter Reinhart’s The Bread Baker's Apprentice: Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread. An intimidating book at anytime but to think that you are going to be baking one of these recipes a week is slightly overwhelming to say the least. But I love a challenge and feel a real need to get out of my comfort zone. Oh yah, I bake all of our bread but I never seem to have the time or the desire to try something new and different. This will change all that!!!

P1010439

This is week 3 and we tackled Bagels this week!  I was so excited when I saw them and I loved making them.

I did not go out looking for malt in any shape or form.  Call me lazy or  what but I did find some really great local mangrove honey that was really strong in flavor and probably substituted perfectly!!!  None of us noticed any difference at all between our local bagel shop and these ones!

These were delicious fresh out of the oven with just some cream cheese or butter on them and they were delicious as part of my favorite sandwich: toasted bagel with tomato, lettuce and mayo!

I will definitely be making these again!!!

Want to Bake Along With Us?

There are several ways for you to join in the fun! First of all, you need a copy of Peter Reinhart’s The Bread Baker’s Apprentice. Then just start baking! Even if you are starting late, just begin with the first recipe and start working your way through. There are several ways to communicate with the group as you begin your journey:

Flickr: We have set up a BBA Challenge Flickr Group where you can upload photos, see photos from other members, and even post questions and comments in the group forum. It’s a private group, so you will need to click on the link that says ‘join this group’ if you want to be able to post photos. As long as you are willing to bake bread all of the bread from the book, you are welcome to join the Flickr group!

Twitter: If you use twitter, you can follow what the group is doing by searching for #BBA or #bba using Twitter’s search box. You can join in on the conversation by adding the #bba or #BBA tag to the end of your tweets when you are talking about anything related to the BBA Challenge. For me, following what people are doing on twitter has been the most fun!

Facebook: If you’re on Facebook, you can join the BBA Challenge Group there and share photos, ask questions, and talk about your bread baking experiences with other BBA members on Facebook.

Next up…Brioche!!!!

As Always…

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

17 comments:

Kat said...

That is the best lookin' bagle I have ever seen! You are amazing!

Pete Eatemall said...

I loved making the bagels...never thought about trying before the BBA Challenge! Yours look great! Now on to Brioche!

Susie said...

Judy,
You did an awesome job. That bagel looks perfect.
Great baking along with you,
Susie

Tessa said...

Yum! I love everything bagels!

Michelle said...

Beautiful bagels! Perfect!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

No time to Twitter these days with 3 jobs and enjoying the summer breezes and beaches...but I may make time to make bagels. They remind me of Montreal.

Michelle said...

Your bagels look wonderful! So nice and plump, great job!!

LoveFeast said...

In my house, I would've slaved all day to make them...they would've disappeared in minutes!! Hmmm...should I attempt it?

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Your bagel is gorgeous! I'd love to do the challenge, even have the book, but I've got too much life going on. I might have to bake along as a lurker, though, if you keep putting up such beautiful breads.

justeatfood said...

Mangrove honey huh? WOW! These look great and I'm picturing myself devouring one...er...make that 6...

Kristen said...

Judy, looks tasty! You are quite the masterful bagel baker, mine always look so deformed. Yours look too perfect to be homemade ;-)

NuKiwi said...

Sounds like fun...and there isn't much better than fresh bread (or bagels) of any type, eh?

Anonymous said...

Your bagel looks perfect!! Isn't the BBA challenge a blast?!

kellypea said...

Okay, Judy, you've convinced me I should post my bread for our challenge. You've done such a good job here explaining it all and your bagles? OH YUM. I love "everything" bagels and yours turned out perfectly. Got my fingers crossed mine will be decent.

Elle said...

Judy, you did an amazing job--they look fantastic! Making bagels has always scared me.

Peter M said...

Bravo on a beauty Bagel. You & some other gals make bagels look easy to make.

Spryte said...

Oh! I've been wanting to try making bagels for a while now. Maybe I'll give it a shot!
Yours look GREAT!