Friday, April 24, 2009

My Birthday and lots of crab…

Last weekend was my birthday and one of our great traditions is that the birthday person gets to choose what they want for a meal on the night of their birthday. I’m pretty lucky. T. is an incredible cook. Way better than I am so my birthday is always pretty exciting. This year I wanted something pretty decadent and that I would never order if we went to a restaurant but I also wanted something that the girls would eat too.

My choice this year was Shrimp and Crab Alfred. This was so delicious. Sadly though because I didn't make it I have no idea as to the recipe. Here is the picture though!

crab and shrimp alfredo 001

After this though we had some leftover crab that I did not want to go to waste. I decided that a quiche would be a great way to use it up. Add in some zucchini that was in my fridge and you have a great looking and easy meal. I was able to make this during the day and T. heated it up as I was at the kick off for the NoFood4You campaign!

crab and zucchini quiche 005

Crab and Zucchini Quiche
Ingredients:
  • 1 pastry shell (9 inch), partially baked
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons onions, minced
  • 1 zucchini grated and squeezed dry
  • 1 cup crabmeat
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • 1 1/2 cups Swiss cheese, shredded/divided and tossed with 1 T flour
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup half and half
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • dash white pepper or hot pepper sauce
  • dash nutmeg

flickr crab quiche

Directions:

  • Have a 9-inch pastry shell partially baked.
  • Sauté onions and zucchini until tender, about 4 minutes; mix with crabmeat and flour; set aside.
  • Sprinkle 3/4 cup the cheese in the pie shell, then spread with crab mixture.
  • Sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup of cheese.
  • Beat eggs, cream, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and parsley until mixed. Pour into shell. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until set and knife comes out clean at 350 degrees.

As Always…

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

13 comments:

matt wright said...

holy cow that looks awesome.

lisaiscooking said...

They both look incredible! I'd love to have that quiche for brunch this weekend.

The Duo Dishes said...

Mmmm, sounds great with the crab.

Deeba PAB said...

Happy Belated Birthday Judy. Glad you had FUN!! That quiche looks delicious, as does the pasta!I've never made anything crab at home...

glamah16 said...

I love crab. The Birthday dinner looked wonderful.

Patsyk said...

Love how you used the leftover crab! I tend to make mine into crabcakes (aka crabby patties), but I love the quiche idea even better!

Thistlemoon said...

Wow, Judy!!!

That looks great! I love the leftover quiche too! Such good stuff! :)

Happy Birthday again, my friend.

s. stockwell said...

Happy Birthday (a little late?) One of the best stand by recipes! When in doubt, make quiche! Good advise. best from Santa Barbara, s

test it comm said...

Shrimp and crab alfrdo sounds so good! Happy birthday!

JoAnn said...

That's so sweet of T to make your b-day special dinner! Happy Bday and let's do coffee soon!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

How lovely to be cooked for on your birthday! We have the same "birthday person gets to choose the meal" tradition, but that almost always involves take-out!

Peter M said...

Again, Happy B-day Judy...crab is a wonderful celebratory food. Nice goin' with the quiche!

Annabel said...

wow, the quiche looks nice..