Thursday, April 16, 2009

Cinnamon Chocolate Brownies

cinnamon brownies 005

The other day I was in a cinnamony mood. I think it’s because first thing in the morning I walked past one of those kiosks that sell the cinnamon pretzels. Poor me it was all I could think about for the rest of the day!!! I was going to make snicker doodles but Lori of The Recipe Girl’s favorite recipe has shortening in it and I was sadly out of shortening! I decided that I would try my hand at Cinnamon Chocolate Brownies and am I ever glad that I did!

I used my favorite brownie recipe and added 1 Tbsp of cinnamon to the batter. This was a really great treat and although it didn’t fully satisfy my craving (really need to get shortening) it was close!

Cinnamon Chocolate Brownies (Adapted from Martha Stewart’s Cookies.)

  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for pan
  • 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
  • 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350°. Butter an 8″square baking pan. Line pan with parchment paper, leaving 2 inches hanging over the sides. Butter parchment paper.

In a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, stir together butter, chocolate, and cocoa powder. Set aside to cool slightly.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.

Combine sugar, eggs, and vanilla using an electric mixer with a whisk attachment. Mix on medium speed until pale, about 4 minutes. Add chocolate mixture and mix until combined. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture, mixing until combined.

Pour batter into prepared pan. Spread evenly with spatula. Bake about 35 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out with a few crumbs but is not wet. Let cool in pan about 15 minutes.

Lift brownies out of pan. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into squares.

As Always…

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

23 comments:

Darius T. Williams said...

Don't ya just love a good amount of spice in certain things - I just had an apple chai tea and the cinnamon and clove action was fantastic on the back of the throat. I bet these brownies would bring me right back to that place.

Maria said...

Chocolate and cinnamon, the perfect pair! the brownies look fantastic!

Maris said...

There are few things better than a good chocolate brownie!

justeatfood said...

It is a cinnomany kind of day! Those sound fabulous.

Thistlemoon said...

Those sound delicious Judy!

erin said...

ooohhh! I may have to make these today :)

s. stockwell said...

O dear! you make these sound so tempting. Good to pop in on you again...best from Santa Barbara, s

Bob said...

Oh my. Those look amazing. I love cinnamon and chocolate together, it's a great combo. And in brownies? Devastating. :)

Anonymous said...

I would imagine these are fantastic .I may make a batch for the folks at work ,not good for me Being diabetic.Still they are tempting.

Unknown said...

These brownies sound awesome. Chocolate and cinnamon are such a great combination. Sometimes I like to make brownies with just a touch of cayenne pepper in them. Delicious!

Brittany said...

Ok this sounds yummy. i was hesitant when I first started reading this post, because I associate cinnamon baked goods with cold Ohio weather, but...I could never turn down a spiced brownie.

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

I love anything with cinnamon in it especially chocolate!! What a great combination!!

glamah16 said...

Looking good Judy!

RecipeGirl said...

Ah, thanks for the mention... ya gotta have that shortening for those cookies. Funny thing is that I don't really have shortening around much anymore either.

These brownies sound great- I love choc + cinnamon!

The Duo Dishes said...

A little cinnamon never hurt nobody. Love this.

Jamie said...

These brownies look amazing and my brownie-loving son will love them - and what he doesn't eat, I will! I always add lots of cinnamon to everything I can, chocolate or not. Love it!

LMcC said...

I would sub in butter for the shortening on the snickerdoodles. My Mom's recipe for oatmeal cookies calls for Crisco but butter makes the decadent, if a little crispy, which i like in a cookie. Regardless, choclotale and cinnamon sounds divine!

Peter M said...

Judy the photo here turned out fab! Surely the brownie was delish...love the cinnamon & chocolate combo.

Jen said...

Add together chocolate and spice and everything is nice! I want a nibble of the brownie in the photo. :)

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Amazing brownies! Can I have one now, please?

Patricia Scarpin said...

Judy, what a fabulous idea - I'm a cinnamon lover and adore brownies as well... Can't wait to try them together!

Stacey said...

These look delicious! I might have to try the recipe this weekend... I love brownies!

And your dog is so cute too! We had a golden retriever growing up- he was 15 when we had to put him to sleep last year. They are awesome dogs!

Love your blog!

Beverly said...

What a pair, I love both chocolate and cinnamon!