Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Royal Foodie Joust - Mango Pastry Puffs

Mango Pastry Puffs

This was probably not one of my finest hours. This whole month has been a real challenge for me. I have messed up so many recipes and meals that I was starting to wonder if it was all going to fall back in place! One thing that I have learned from this past month is that everything that I cook or bake has a bit of me in it. If I am not feeling good (too much stress, distracted, busy, worried etc...) nothing I make will turn out right. But on the other hand if I am feeling good (which honestly is my normal state!!!) my food is great. I have never really noticed before the impact that this had on all of our food. Maybe that is because normally I don't let too much get to me but when it does boy is it an avalanche and I have felt the pure weight of it this month. Things are so much better now but that brings me to my Royal Foodie Joust entry for this month...

The Royal Foodie Joust is a monthly event that is normally hosted by Jenn the Left Over Queen but seeing as she was busy getting married this month the Joust was hosted by Ben of What's Cooking. The ingredients this month were mango, cardamom and brown sugar. These ingredients were chosen by Michelle from www.thurdaynightsmackdown.com . Really great choices!

But alas with my mojo on the outs I had some major trouble with this entry. I knew what I wanted to do but just could not for the life of me execute it. I honestly tried making my own puff pastry but it was such a huge disaster and I am still traumatized by it so please forgive me for not telling you all about it! I ended up using (oh please forgive me for this!!!) frozen puff pastry sheets. I will make this again as I loved the flavor of it and I promise that I will use my own homemade puff pastry!!!

I decide to make the cream with ricotta cheese because I though that it would be really great combined with the cardamom and brown sugar. Was I ever right. This was so delicious and rich tasting. Yes it was a little messy but have you ever really eaten puff pastry when it wasn't? The whole family loved these and they were gone in one sitting!

Mango Pastry Puffs (printable recipe)

Ingredients


1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 egg yolk
1 Tbsp water

Cheese filling:

1 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 tsp ground cardamom
4 Tbsp brown sugar

Mango topping:

2 lg ripe mangoes, diced
2 tsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp ground cardamom

Directions
Unfold the pastry sheet onto a lightly floured surface. Cut each sheet into 9 - 3 inch squares.

Place about 1 inch apart on greased baking sheets.In a small bowl beat egg yolk and water; brush over the pastry squares and bake as directed.

Mix the ricotta cheese with the cardamom and brown sugar. Set aside.

In a small sauce pan combine the mango with the brown sugar and cardamom.

Cook on low heat until bubbly and thickened.

Split the puff pastry and scoop on some of the ricotta mixture. Top that with a scoop of the mango.

Place the top back on the pastry square and enjoy!

As Always...

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

14 comments:

Felicia said...

Sometimes frozen pastry is the way to go! Looks delicious :)

Peter M said...

Damn that looks good and glad to hear you got your groove back (even though your name's not Stella)!

I'm still stuck on my entry...yikes.

Heather said...

Lawd, that looks gooood. I have a mango on my counter that I have yet to toy with. I still have a day or two, right? :\

Here's to getting one's groove back. Cheers.

Kimi said...

Omg! I want that, NOW!
Great job!

glamah16 said...

Hey no biggie on ready made puff pastry. Because that creation looks really really good. Youll get your mojo back. Just COOK It Out!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Felicia-I really had no choice. I ended up with lour soup and it was everywhere. I have no idea how it got so bad sooooo fast!

Thanks Peter-I sure hope it's back. That was a rough couple of weeks!

Hi Heather (picture me jumping up and down in excitement that your back!!!)Cheers to you too!

Kimi-this was so easy to make. I almost feel back for submitting it!

Thanks Glamah- that mojo thing really sucks when it goes!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

What a great entry Judy. Sure looks like your mojo is back to me. Good luck in the Joust:D

Anonymous said...

This looks really fantastic. I like your use of ricotta - it matches so well with so many things. Especially mango!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Hi Val- thanks I sure hope it's back and not like spring for you guys - just peeking!

Fearless Kitchen - I love ricotta - pretty much ricotta anything!

Thanks Ben!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the nice recipe.i like this kind of food very much.please post some new about mango jelly.

Thistlemoon said...

I am glad you got your groove back Miss Judy! We all have our off times. Like right now, having been away from the kitchen, I am nervous to get back in it...what if I lost MY mojo??!!

best of luck sweetie!

Judy@nofearentertaining said...

Oh Jenn you just got married. You have a ton of mojo!!! Thanks!

Unknown said...

So loving this recipe! I have tons of mangos in the house and will be turning some of them into puffs shortly!

Cheers,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

To up grade the look of your puff pastry I would of layedone sheet of pastry down and dock it. Then I would of brushed it with water and layed another sheet on top. Then cut out your squares. Then cut a square inside of the square just cutting through the top layer. Brush with water and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake. Remove center top square. Beutiful!