Saturday, April 3, 2010

Lots of berries? Make Shortcake!

Florida is having a tough time of it strawberry wise this year.  Somehow the market has dropped and the farmers are selling berries at ridiculously low prices to just get rid of them.  Last weekend there was even a UPick in Plant City that was GIVING them away!!!

Needless to say we have lots of berries right now.  And that, my friends, is a very, very good thing…     DSC_0043-3
Strawberry Shortcake (Better Homes & Gardens)

Ingredients:
  • 1-1/2  cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4  cup sugar
  • 1  teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4  teaspoon salt
  • 1/4  teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/3  cup cold butter
  • 1  egg, slightly beaten
  • 1/2  cup dairy sour cream
  • 2  tablespoons milk
  • 5  cups sliced strawberries
  • 3  tablespoons sugar
  • 1  recipe Whipped Cream
Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking sheet; set aside. In a medium bowl combine flour, the 1/4 cup sugar, the baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl combine egg, sour cream, and milk. Add to flour mixture, stirring with a fork just until moistened.

2. Drop dough into 8 mounds onto prepared baking sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.

3. Meanwhile, combine 4 cups of the strawberries and the 3 tablespoons sugar. Using a potato masher, mash berries slightly; set aside. To serve, split shortcakes in half; fill with strawberry mixture and whipped cream. Top with remaining sliced strawberries.

4. Makes 8 shortcakes

signature

6 comments:

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Before meeting my English/Canadian husband, I'd never tasted strawberry shortcake. He adores it, and every time we go to a street fair or festival or farm stand that sells it, he has to have one. I've never made it at home -- don't know why not -- but now with your recipe I just might do it.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

I have heard about the crop in FL... what a great deal for you all. And a great recipe!

tinyskillet said...

I know I have lots of berries right now, and I do love it! I like my shortbread like you make it. I'll try your recipe. Then on to that margarita! Yum! Enjoy the rest of this beautiful day!

Kathleen said...

I love short cake. Yours looks and sounds really de-lish! Great blog btw!!!

Deeba PAB said...

You inspire me no end with your wonderful fruit bakes Judy. I love this. have 2 strawberry desserts in the fridge, and am now dyeing to make this! Can never forget the peacn inspiration from NFE last year! HUGS!!
Happy Easter my friend!

Anonymous said...

What a gift to have TOO many strawberries! One of my favorite fruits when in season.
I read your blog for first time tonight and love the content. Looking forward to making it a daily read.