Thursday, November 12, 2009

Apple Pancakes for dinner…

We are still in our crazy, running all the time, trying to find some sense of balance in our lives mode.  So I am making dinners in the crockpot or else finding things that I can make ahead of time and just reheat for a quick meal between activities (BMX racing, ice skating, and karate).  I made a really good white chicken chili but ate it all without a single photo.  So will post when I make it again and you can bet I will be making it again, it was just that good.

Anyway, these pancakes came about because I had some fruit that badly needed to be used up or tossed out tomorrow.  There were 6 apples, 4 bananas and 2 pears.  3 of the bananas went into banana chocolate chip muffins (1 had to be tossed), and 3 apples went into the pancakes.  I am going to make apple/pear sauce with the remaining fruit to use as topping for the pancakes!  These pancakes are delicious and a perfect way to use up some of that fruit.  They can be made ahead and just warmed up (for dinner) but of course they are way better hot off the griddle!

P1020133 edit

Apple Pancakes (adapted from Smitten Kitchen)

Ingredients:

2 eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 cups of milk
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
14 tsp nutmeg
3 medium apples, peeled and coarsely grated (I used macintosh and a honey crisp apple.  You could use any)

Directions:

1. Mix the eggs with the milk and vanilla extract in a large bowl.
2. In a smaller bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg together.
3. Combine the wet and the dry ingredients and stir in the apples.
4. Heat a thin layer of oil in an electric skillet on medium heat. Drop large spoonful of batter into the pan and flatten it out a little (otherwise, you might have trouble getting them to cook in the center) and cook until golden brown underneath. Flip the pancakes and cook them for an additional two or three minutes.

I sprinkled these with cinnamon sugar and topped them with maple syrup but apple sauce will be great on them too!

9 comments:

Elle said...

Breakfast doesn't get any better than that, in my opinion. Especially if it's breakfast for dinner!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Pancakes for dinner are the best!!!!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea, I am seriously going to try these. I have stomach issues and can not use syrup so you gave me such a great idea to make these using my millet and buckwheat flour, add apples...maybe even some dates and raisins. Wow!!! What a yummy meal I can have. Thank you so much. Terry

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

We love breakfast for dinner especially pancakes!! I am a big fan of this for a selfish reason.. Hubby is the breakfast king so it is a great change to have him make dinner.. Gets me off the hook every now and then!

Dharm said...

My kids would love to have pancakes for dinner! These pancakes look super too..!

Unknown said...

oh, yum yum yum! I'll be bookmarking this for the next breakfast for dinner...

Shelby said...

I wish I could get Grumpy to eat breakfast for dinner. He can be such a stick in the mud when it comes to food! ;-) The pancakes look yummy. I will have to save this for a Sunday morning after hunting season! (which ends the 2nd week of Dec here!)

Amanda said...

We love eating pancakes for dinner! They're a quick and filling choice. These sound like a great alternative recipe. Thanks for sharing this!

RJ Flamingo said...

You remind me of my buckwheat apple pancakes! Love this, and would make a very fine supper, if you ask me!