Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Black Bean and Goat Cheese Quesadillas

My goal each and every day is to feed my family a healthy lunch and dinner.  Oh how I have been lax at meeting that daily goal!  Turning a new page and starting off on the right foot and all here is my attempt to get it all back together.  The meals that I cook have to either be crock pot, slow cooked or else pre cooked that we can heat up after, between or before whatever extra curricular event we have happening on that night.  I don’t use packaged or prepared foods at all so everything that I do is from scratch, just to make it more challenging huh?

Between karate 2 days, skating 2 or 3 days and BMX 2 or 3 days you can just imagine that it is a little hectic around here.  One thing though that we ALWAYS make sure that we do it to eat together.  There is none of this grabbing and eating on your own here.  We sit down to a family meal each and every single night.  Is it easy?  No way, but we do it.

One of my big problems though is that we get pretty bored with all of the fast things that I can make and it has been way too hot for a slow cooked or crock pot meal.  So this is what I came up with yesterday and it is going to be added into the rotation.

P1010878Black Bean and Goat Cheese Quesadillas

I was able to make the black bean mixture, cut up all of the cilantro, jalapenos and crumble the goat cheese ahead of time.  When we got home I heated the bean mixture and got the griddle going.  These were assembled, cooked and on the table in 10 minutes.  I served sautéed zucchini along side and it was really the perfect meal!

P1010876

Black Bean and Goat Cheese Quesadilla (inspired by Fine Cooking)

2 Tbs. olive oil
1 lg yellow onion, finely chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
24-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
2 tsp. ground cumin
1 Tbsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp oregano
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 jalapeno, chopped
4 oz. fresh goat cheese, crumbled
6 flour tortillas, Burrito size (we used 2 whole ones for T and I and 1 each for the girls)

In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium heat until hot. Add the onion and garlic and sauté, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the beans, cumin, chili powder, oregano and 1/2 cup water and cook, stirring occasionally, until almost all the water has evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes. Take the pan off the heat. With the back of a fork, break up the beans to make a chunky mash. Stir in half of the cilantro and season with salt and pepper.

Spread the black bean mixture over the tortilla and crumble the goat cheese, sprinkle with jalapeno and some cilantro top with another tortilla.  Cook on a heated and oiled griddle until nice and golden brown.  Repeat with the remaining ingredients and slice up and serve.

**We served these with chopped up avocado, salsa and sour cream.  This was a delicious and quick week night meal!

This would also be a great idea for an appetizer for your next party or pot luck.  Cut into smaller wedges these would be perfect!

As Always…

Happy Entertaining!!!

Judy
www.nofearentertaining.com

15 comments:

sj said...

Oh wow does this sounds REALLY good Judy! Yummy! su'd

Bob said...

Looks wicked good! I wish my girlfriend would eat cheese so I could make quesadillas. Other than just for myself. Heh.

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Sounds like a perfect meal to me Judy, quick and delicious.

Inspired by eRecipeCards said...

These are great... they grill very easy also. Great for a lazy evening on the deck

Coach J said...

I LURVE goat cheese, so I'm all over these quesadillas. Actually, I think quesadillas are the world's most perfect food. Grilled, buttery bread with melted cheese and spicy goodness? yes please!

Jen said...

These look absolutely delicious, Judy! I made something similar tonight - a chile rellenos "casserole" where I blanched split poblanos, and then put them on the bottom with brown rice, refried black beans and cheese on top and then poured an egg mixture over it all and baked it. Really good! I love using beans and veggies in new combinations.

Maris said...

I'm so excited because I have all the ingredients for this! I always see recipes that I never get around to making because they require SHOPPING. Love it!

kellypea said...

We love quesadillas any way we can get them! These look so yummy ;) I'm with you on the no packaged foods. I can't get my act together enough to do anything w/ my slow cooker or pre-cook anything, so you can find us these days eating at about 8:30 pm. Together! It works.

Thistlemoon said...

Wow, this sounds like an amazing dinner! I love it Judy and certainly am going to have to try it out. Anything with goat cheese and I am SO there!

Ivy said...

Sounds like a well balanced meal and the goat cheese makes it really creamy.

test it comm said...

Those are some tasty looking quesadillas!

Deeba PAB said...

You a good mama Judy. I love how you did these Quesadillas. My family is like yours; gets bored easily. These are just the kind of thing I'd like to do for them! xoxo

Anonymous said...

Found you through Twitter! Great recipes!!! I will be back to visit soon...in the meantime, I will just drool over these quesedillas...anything with goat cheese makes me HAPPY!!!

HR Girl @ bigjobsboard.com said...

I really love your blog. You shows some really good recipes. I don't think my husband will love it because he doesn't like to eat cheese. But I will still try this recipe. Who knows? He might like it.

LaDivaCucina said...

I'm glad to hear that in spite of your family's busy schedule, you take the time to eat together and cook everything from scratch. Healthy, active bodies require real food, not chemical food!

We eat vegetarian meals often and its no big deal that we are not eating meat, as long as its filling for my big husband! For a healthy sour cream sub for our quesadillas, I use Fage Greek yogurt with lime juice, salt and cumin! Nice job girl!